Error

Harrison, Harry & McAllister, Bruce (ed) - There Won't Be War / Гаррисон, Гарри & Мак-Аллистер, Брюс (ред.) - Войны не будет [1991, fb2, ENG]

Ответить на тему

| 

Автор Сообщение

OldOldNick

Harrison, Harry & McAllister, Bruce (ed) - There Won't Be War

Название: There Won't Be War / Войны не будет
Год выпуска: 1991
Под редакцией: Harrison, Harry & McAllister, Bruce / Гаррисон, Гарри & Мак-Аллистер, Брюс
Издательство: Tor
ISBN: 0-812-51941-8
Формат: fb2
Качество: OCR
Язык: английский

Описание:
Антология фантастики на антивоенную тематику. Хорошие авторы: Азимов, Шекли ...
Frustration / Отчаяние by Isaac Asimov
Known But to God and Wilbur Hines / Известен лишь Богу и Уилбуру Хайнсу by James Morrow
The Liberation of Earth / Освобождение Земли by William Tenn
Valkyrie by Jack McDevitt
SEAQ and Destroy by Charles Stross
Iphigenia by Nancy A. Collins
Sacred Fire by George Zebrowski
The Lucky Strike / «Лаки Страйк» by Kim Stanley Robinson
Brains on the Dump by Nicholas Emmett
Beachhead by Joe Haldeman
There Will Be No War After This One / После этой войны другой не будет by Robert Sheckley
We, the People / Мы, народ by Jack C. Haldeman, II
Wartorn, Lovelorn by Marc Laidlaw
The Peacemakers by Timothy Zahn
The Terminal Beach / Последний берег by J. G. Ballard
Attack of the Jazz Giants by Gregory Frost
The Long-Awaited Appearance of the Real Black Box by Ratislav Durman
Generation of Noah / Поколение Ноя by William Tenn
The Rocky Python Christmas Video Show / Рождественское видео-шоу Роки Питона by Frederik Pohl
Frustration

Isaac Asimov

Herman Gelb turned his head to watch the departing figure. Then he said, “Wasn’t that the Secretary—”
“Yes, that was the Secretary of Foreign Affairs. Old man Hargrove. Are you ready for lunch?”
“Of course. What was he doing here?”
Peter Jonsbeck didn’t answer immediately. He merely stood up, and beckoned Gelb to follow. They walked down the corridor and into a room that had the steamy smell of spicy food.
“Here you are,” said Jonsbeck. “The whole thing has been prepared by computer. Completely automated. Untouched by human hands. And my own programming. I promised you a treat, and here you are.”
It was good. Gelb could not deny it and didn’t want to. Over dessert, he said, “But what was Hargrove doing here?”
Jonsbeck smiled. “Consulting me on programming. What else am I good for?”
“But why? Or is it something you can’t talk about?”
“It’s something I suppose I shouldn’t talk about, but it’s a fairly open secret. There isn’t a computer man in the capital who doesn’t know what the poor frustrated simp is up to.”
“What is he up to then?”
“He’s fighting wars.”
Gelb’s eyes opened wide. “With whom?”
“With nobody, really. He fights them by computer analysis. He’s been doing it for—I don’t know how long.”
“But why?”
“He wants the world to be the way we are—noble, honest, decent, full of respect for human rights and so on.”
“So do I. So do we all. We have to keep up the pressure on the bad guys, that’s all.”
“And they’re keeping the pressure on us, too. They don’t think we’re perfect.”
“I suppose we’re not, but we’re better than they are. You know that.”
Jonsbeck shrugged. “A difference in point of view. It doesn’t matter. We’ve got a world to run, space to develop, computerization to extend. Computerization puts a premium on continued cooperation and there is slow improvement. We’ll get along.—It’s just that Hargrove doesn’t want to wait. He hankers for quick improvement—by force. You know, make the bums shape up. We’re strong enough to do it.”
“By force? By war, you mean. We don’t fight wars anymore.”
Download
Для скачивания .torrent файлов необходима регистрация
Сайт не распространяет и не хранит электронные версии произведений, а лишь предоставляет доступ к создаваемому пользователями каталогу ссылок на торрент-файлы, которые содержат только списки хеш-сумм
Ответить на тему