Error

Watt-Evans Lawrence - The Mad Scientist Megapack / Уотт-Эванс Лоуренс - Мегапак "Сумасшедший ученый" [2014, EPUB, ENG]

Ответить на тему

| 

Автор Сообщение

OldOldNick

The Mad Scientist Megapack / Мегапак "Сумасшедший ученый"

Название: The Mad Scientist Megapack / Мегапак "Сумасшедший ученый"
Год выпуска: 2014
Авторы: Watt-Evans, Lawrence; Lerner, Edward M. .../ Уотт-Эванс, Лоуренс; Лернер, Эдвард и другие
Издательство: Wildside Press LLC
ISBN: 978-1-4794037-6-9
Формат: EPUB
Качество: eBook
Язык: английский

Описание:
Сборник из 23-х фантастических произведений, объединеннных одним из самых распространенных штампов в фантастике: сумасшедшие ученые и их сумасшедшие творения и эксперименты Smile. От классики до современности.
    MYSHKIN by David V. Reed
    A LIGHT THAT SHAMED THE SUN by C. J. Henderson
    INCOMPLETE DATA by H.B. Fyfe
    THE CORPSE ON THE GRATING by Hugh B. Cave
    COSMIC TELETYPE by Carl Jacobi
    MONSTER KIDNAPS GIRL AT MAD SCIENTIST'S COMMAND! / Чудовище похищает девушку по приказу безумного учёного! by Lawrence Watt-Evans
    GREAT MINDS by Edward M. Lerner
    THE MAN WHO EVOLVED / Эволюция доктора Полларда by Edmond Hamilton
    NO GUTS, NO GLORY by Edward M. Lerner
    THE DEVOTEE OF EVIL by Clark Ashton Smith
    SONG OF DEATH by Ed Earl Repp
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT by Jack Dolphin
    DR. VARSAG'S EXPERIMENT by Craig Ellis
    PUBLIC SAFETY by Matthew Johnson
    THE WORLD IN A BOX by Carl Jacobi
    MACHINE RECORD by Theodore R. Cogswell
    THE BIRTHMARK / Родимое пятно by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    HERBERT WEST—REANIMATOR / Герберт Уэст, реаниматор by H.P. Lovecraft
    ZAPT'S REPULSIVE PASTE by J.U. Giesy
    THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE / Странная история доктора Джекилла и мистера Хайда by Robert Louis Stevenson
    THE MAN WHO STOPPED THE EARTH by Henry J. Kostkos
    SYMPATHY FOR MAD SCIENTISTS by John Gregory Betancourt
NO GUTS, NO GLORY, by Edward M. Lerner

I have a theory about baseball caps and intelligence. Grown men who wear baseball caps move their lips when they read. Grown men who wear baseball caps backwards can’t read. Okay, I’ll make exceptions for actual pro ball players.
And then, in a league of his own, we have Alistair Winkler. The first words I heard from Alistair’s lips, plaintively spoken, were, “Have you seen my baseball cap? I can’t find it.”
Appearances can be deceiving.
I had just emerged from my office, too bored for the usual charade. You know: where my secretary keeps a client waiting to show how little I need the business. Right.
Winkler was looking all around, befuddled. He was comfortably middle-aged, average in height and spare-tire size. His eyes, behind Coke-bottle-bottom lenses, were muddy brown. It was windy today; my new client hadn’t bothered to comb his sparse hair since coming inside—maybe not since the Carter administration. For sure, that was when he’d bought his tweed sport coat. Lapels don’t lie.
“Mr. Winkler?” I said. “Come this way, please. My secretary will be happy to look for your cap.” It might even have been true. Phyllis was as bored as I.
My client clutched a shoebox that leaked receipts. If only he had misplaced that. He mumbled something as I settled him at the conference table.
“What’s that?” I asked.
“Doctor Winkler.”
“Sorry.” Appearances can be deceiving, I thought, reaching for his box. “When you made your appointment, did Phyllis tell you to bring your last three returns?”
“They’re in the box.”
Meaning they were, at best, folded. Based on the crumbled receipts, I’d have bet on finding the returns wadded up. Too bad I didn’t have any money; I’d have won. Sliding the old 1040s back and forth across a table edge to flatten them, I asked. “So what’s your field?”
Winkler mumbled again, something about guts. That was less disturbing than his old returns, which, it appeared, he had prepared himself. He sure wrote like a doctor.
“Um,” I responded insightfully. “I don’t understand medical specialties. Does that make you a GI doc?” As in: It may be shit to you, but it’s my bread and butter.
Winkler’s hearty laugh surprised me. “I’m a Ph.D. in physics, not a medical doctor. GUT stands for grand unified theory. You’re familiar, of course, with the work aimed at unifying the gravitational, electroweak, and strong nuclear forces.”
Electro-who? I hid behind an old tax form, where an odd entry caught my eye. “What’s this $407,000 in ‘other income’ from two years ago?”
Winkler scratched his head, then brightened. “Oh, that must be my share of the Nobel.”
I did say appearances can be deceiving, didn’t I?
Download
Для скачивания .torrent файлов необходима регистрация
Сайт не распространяет и не хранит электронные версии произведений, а лишь предоставляет доступ к создаваемому пользователями каталогу ссылок на торрент-файлы, которые содержат только списки хеш-сумм
Ответить на тему