Год выпуска: 2013
Под редакцией: Dozois Gardner & Dann Jack / Дозуа Гарднер & Данн Джек
Издательство: Baen
eISBN: 978-1-62579-110-8
Формат: EPUB
Качество: eBook
Язык: английский

Описание:
Тема этой антологии: демоны в фантастике. Здесь вы найдете произведения Стивена Кинга, Роберта Силверберга, Танит Ли и других.
Имеется "парная" к этой антология про ангелов, см. viewtopic.php?t=62603
В этих двух антологиях даже есть один общий рассказ :-)
    The Willow Platform / Павильон Joseph Payne Brennan
    The Night of White Bhairab / Ночь Белого Духа Lucius Shepard
    The Mangler / «Мясорубка» Stephen King
    The Last Demon Isaac Bashevis Singer
    The Golden Rope Tanith Lee
    Basileus / Басилей Robert Silverberg
    Twilla Tom Reamy
    The Purple Pterodactyls L. Sprague de Camp
    Goslin Day / День Гослина Avram Davidson
    Nellthu / Нэллту Anthony Boucher
    Snulbug / Клоподав Anthony Boucher
    One Other Manly Wade Wellman
    An Ornament to His Profession Charles L. Harness
The Mangier
by Stephen King

Officer Hunton got to the laundry just as the ambulance was leaving—slowly, with no siren or flashing lights. Ominous. Inside, the office was stuffed with milling, silent people, some of them weeping. The plant itself was empty; the big automatic washers at the far end had not even been shut down. It made Hunton very wary. The crowd should be at the scene of the accident, not in the office. It was the way things worked—the human animal had a built-in urge to view the remains. A very bad one, then. Hunton felt his stomach tighten as it always did when the accident was very bad. Fourteen years of cleaning human litter from highways and streets and the sidewalks at the bases of very tall buildings had not been able to erase that little hitch in the belly, as if something evil had clotted there.
A man in a white shirt saw Hunton and walked toward him reluctantly. He was a buffalo of a man with head thrust forward between shoulders, nose and cheeks vein-broken either from high blood pressure or too many conversations with the brown bottle. He was trying to frame words, but after two tries Hunton cut him off briskly:
"Are you the owner? Mr. Gartley?"
"No . . . no. I'm Stanner. The foreman. God, this—"
Hunton got out his notebook. "Please show me the scene of the accident, Mr. Stanner, and tell me what happened."
Stanner seemed to grow even more white; the blotches on his nose and cheeks stood out like birthmarks. "D-do I have to?"
Hunton raised his eyebrows. "I'm afraid you do. The call I got said it was serious."
"Serious—" Stanner seemed to be battling with his gorge; for a moment his Adam's apple went up and down like a monkey on a stick. "Mrs. Frawley is dead. Jesus, I wish Bill Gartley was here."
"What happened?"
Stanner said, "You better come over here."
He led Hunton past a row of hand presses, a shirt-folding unit, and then stopped by a laundry-marking machine. He passed a shaky hand across his forehead. "You'll have to go over by yourself, Officer. I can't look at it again. It makes me . . . I can't. I'm sorry."
Hunton walked around the marking machine with a mild feeling of contempt for the man. They run a loose shop, cut corners, run live steam through home-welded pipes, they work with dangerous cleaning chemicals without the proper protection, and finally, someone gets hurt. Or gets dead. Then they can't look. They can't—
Hunton saw it.
The machine was still running. No one had shut it off. The machine he later came to know intimately: the Hadley-Watson Model-6 Speed Ironer and Folder. A long and clumsy name. The people who worked here in the steam and the wet had a better name for it. The mangier.
Hunton took a long, frozen look, and then he performed a first in his fourteen years as a law-enforcement officer: he turned around, put a convulsive hand to his mouth, and threw up.
. . .
Download
Для скачивания .torrent файлов необходима регистрация
Сайт не распространяет и не хранит электронные версии произведений, а лишь предоставляет доступ к создаваемому пользователями каталогу ссылок на торрент-файлы, которые содержат только списки хеш-сумм
Ответить на тему